Sunday 7 December 2014

Port Augusta to Adelaide

Port Augusta - Wilmington - Melrose - Gladstone - Clare Valley - Leasingham - Gawler - Adelaide

(3 bikedays, 336 km)

On Nov 11th, I left Port Augusta in direction to Wilmigton. Again, I had a strong headwind. I took the Old Wilmington road, quiet hilly and very rough asphalt. And the Horrocks Pass was waiting. it is only 500m upclimbing, but with headwind .....  the fun was very low.

When I arrived in Wilmigton, at the local cafe, I had a tasty pasty and a coffee, loading energy for the next 90k.
On a remoted road I cycled through a gorgeous landscape, and first time after the Nullarbor, I  did not listen to music from my iPhone anymore. I enjoyed the different voices of the birds, the good smell of the trees and plants (and not any more from decomposing kangaroos !).
Melrose is the oldest town in the Flinders Range and very beautiful.
I arrived at Gladstone, and stayed for one night there. a lovely caravan park with very friendly managers and two cude Border Collies.
The next day I headed of to Clare Valley, a hugh wine regions and spent the night in Leasingham.
I cycled through Gawler and I arrived in Adelaide on Nov 13th, my most important destination on this trip.

Currently (Dec 7th) I am in Apollo Bay on the Great Ocean Road (Adelaide to Melbourne, Road B100) . Due to my great grandaunts 100. birthday in two weeks, I will be back in Adelaide in a few days. Update of my blog about Adelaide, Barossa Valley and the Great Ocean Road is coming soon.

Please be patient :-) 

Have a great time and we keep in touch !
very rough asphalt and headwind after leaving Port Augusta

from sealevel up to 500m altitude


on the way to Wilmingtom

Bildunterschrift hinzufügen





old houses in Melrose


olive trees


I love Border Collies :-)

"Booyoolee" was the former name of Gladstone



Bildunterschrift hinzufügen


this shop is run by a German man, now Australian resident for 35 years. interesting conversation

vineyards in the Clare Valley

beer and wine tasting in Leasingham.




No comments:

Post a Comment