Tuesday 19 May 2015

trip to Cairns

May 10th till May 14th 2015

by rental car (982km)


Yes, sometimes I am very lazy and I do not want to cycle all side trips, especially when I have to go the same way twice. I want to come to Darwin as soon as possible so I make a quick trip to Cairns by rental car.

One highlight was to meet Tilmann Waldthaler. Originally he comes from South Tyrol/Italy but he is now an Australian Citizen, living with his wife Renate and his dog close to Cairns. He has been cycling for over 40 years and over 450.000km ! what an achievement ! Some months ago, we got in touch via Facebook, and when I told him, that I will come to Cairns, we made an appointement for lunch and then he invited me for the next day for breakfast at their home. It was so great ! both so friendly and we had great conversations, not only about travelling by pushbike :-)


there is a community for voluntary work, called "helpX". I am a registered helper but did not work, because I try to finish my loop around Australia in September i
Some months ago, Petra from "K9 Riverretreat" contacted me, so I took the chance to visit them. If I had a dog I would bring my fluffy friend here !! Awesome pet boarding house :-)

Petra and Chris with their fluffy dogs

so much space !  Wuff Wuff :-)




quite remoted area :-)




Davis on the left, a cyclist from Canada and Les with his awesome family , who hosted me for two nights ! thank you so much !


the main reason to go to Cairns: scuba diving !

I did it with the same divecenter  (TUSA Dive) as in 2007 and it was terrific !!!


a short video : cut "quick and dirty" ;-)




with stinger-suit .







and some impressions from the trip !








time to say "Good-Bye" to the East Coast !

since May 17th on the way to Mount Isa, Darwin, Kununurra, Broome and final destination Perth, where I started my trip around Australia. It is still a long way !





No comments:

Post a Comment